Friday, January 9, 2009

2008

I have this list (er, messy Excel spreadsheet actually) of all the things I want to do in my life.  Some of the things are simple ("Get a membership to the Laguna Beach Library") or typical ("Lose 10 lbs.").  Others are more ambitious ("Be the featured artist at a gallery opening") or more general ("Do something I'm afraid of").  You get the idea.

Last year flew by.  I worked a lot.  Had some fun.  By the end, it felt like a wash.  But then I pulled out my list and found that I actually accomplished quite a bit in 2008!
  1. Lose 10 lbs.  (Lost 5.  I get half credit for this one.)
  2. Traveled to Detroit, Phoenix, Vegas, San Francisco, and Austin 
  3. Donated to a charity (ASPCA and American Cancer Society)
  4. Took an acrylic painting class
  5. Went to Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach
  6. Rescued a pet from a shelter
  7. Started a Website  (Kind of.  Does this blog count?)
  8. Learned to meditate 
  9. Started practicing yoga 
  10. Went to the San Diego Zoo 
  11. Went back to school to get my degree 
  12. Cleaned out my closets and donated old clothes
  13. Took life drawing classes
  14. Started a novel
  15. Got new living room and bedroom furniture
I did lots of other things that weren't on the list, but are worth mentioning.  Joseph and I revealed our relationship to colleagues (what a relief!).  I worked the SAG awards and attended the after party for the 2nd year in a row (met/saw Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Loius-Dreyfus, Will Smith, and many others).  I Read at least 20 books (I didn't start keeping track until after the start of the year.).  My niece turned 2.  We had Joseph's family in town for the 4th of July and watched the fireworks over the ocean from our balcony.  Family and friends visited: Lynn and Bri.  Joseph's mom, sisters, nieces, and nephews.  Joseph's best friend, Vince.  Joseph's cousin, Daniel, and his wife and kids.  Joseph's cousin, Titus, and Jill and the kids.  We Saw Cirque Du Soleil.  Went to Palm Springs.  Had a surprise birthday party for Joseph's 30th birthday.  Saw Joseph's other best friend, Eric, do a show in Hollywood.  Went for countless walks on the beach.  Felt an earthquake for the 2nd time.  Saw more beautiful sunsets from my own house than I've ever seen in my life.  Fell asleep to the sound of the ocean every night.  Accomplished lots of things at work that are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  Had friends from work over.  

And see the pic below?  Those rocks jutting out into the ocean at the very top?  That's where Bodhi and I sat every evening in summertime and prayed and watched the sunset.  



1 comment:

The Gargoyle Times said...

I'm so proud of your dedication to the blog this year! I want to come back to Laguna this year. I'm thinking I'll win the HGTV Dream Home (which I enter faithfully everyday), so we'll be relatively close and I can come see you all of the time!! :)